• Squeeze FAQ

Squeeze Set Up
    Installation
    How do I install Squeeze?
    Why am I getting an “Invalid Serial Number" error?
    How do I obtain a lost serial key?
    Why do I get a duplicate license number error?
    Why do I get an error message, “Squeeze requires third party tools to be installed”?
    How can I install Squeeze on a foreign-language OS (Mac)
    How do I uninstall Sorenson Squeeze?

Registration & Activation
    How do I activate Squeeze?
    Do I need to activate the trial version of Squeeze?
    I am not connect to the internet, how do I obtain an activation key?
    I received Squeeze with Avid, how do I obtain an activation key?
    Why do I get an error saying my “Activation key is not valid”?

SoundSoap
    Why do I get a pop up saying my version of Sound Soap has expired?
    How do I uninstall BIAS SoundSoap?

Using Squeeze & Workflow
    Do I have to use the default presets in Squeeze?
    How can i get more HD presets for Squeeze?
    What is a Watch Folder?
    Can Squeeze compress multiple files simultaneously?
    What is the FFDShow plug-in that is installed with Squeeze on a PC?
    Is there a decoder pack like FFDShow available for Mac?
    Why can’t I modify Windows Media presets in Squeeze on the Macintosh?
    Can I create multiple bit rate (MBR) WMV files on the Mac?
    How do I modify the meta-data for my output?
    How do I insert markers?

Importing Source Files
    Can I capture video directly into Squeeze?
    Can I import SWF files into Squeeze?
    Can I import Real Media files into Squeeze?

Export Files
    How do I preserve my alpha channel when compressing a file in Squeeze?
    How do I create a muxed MPEG file (one file with both audio and video) in Squeeze?
    How do I create a DVD with Squeeze?
    How do I create DVD VOB files in Squeeze?
    Can I create Blu-ray files in Squeeze?

Formats & Codecs
    What container formats support H.264 in Squeeze?
    How do I create Flash H.264 files?
    How to I play back FLV files?
    Are Squeeze for Flash output files compatible with all versions of Flash player?
    Is the Sorenson Video 3 Pro codec supported on all OS platforms?

Troubleshooting Squeeze
    How do I obtain product support for Squeeze?
    Why does Squeeze say it is expired or can't read my serial key?
    Why does a dialogue box pop up prompting me to enter in my username and password when applying some presets?
    Why do QuickTime presets to not show up in Squeeze 5 after upgrading to QuickTime 7.6.4 or higher on my PC?
    Why is my H.264 preset changing the pixel numbers I am entering in for my frame size?
    Why do I get the error “0x8003001e?”

Input Issues
    Why do I get the error "Unable to add the source file?"
    Why can't I import my QuickTime reference file form Avid?
    Why does Squeeze crash when importing QuickTime files?

Output File Issues
    Why do I get a watermark on my outputs in Squeeze Trial?
    Why do I get a watermark on my outputs in Squeeze when using WMV source files?
    Why do I see a watermark on my FLV outputs (Squeeze 4 and 5)?
    The transitions in my video are blocky and low quality. How can i fix this?
    Why do I get a loud scratching noise at the beginning and/or end of my Windows Media file on my PC
    Why is Squeeze applying different frames per second to my compressed movie than what I have specified?
    Why is my video upside down?
    Why is the video missing when I playback SWF files created in Squeeze?
    Why I do get a “jittery” output video when converting to DVD NTSC?
    Why do I get Clicks and Pops in the Audio output of Squeeze?
    Why won’t my QuickTime movies Stream?

Terminology
    Where can I get more information about the codecs contained in my video and audio files?
    What is H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)?
    What is the difference between an FLV and a SWF file?
    What are the differences between the Sorenson Video 3 Pro and MPEG-4 Pro codecs?
    What is the Difference between Streaming Servers and Progressive Streaming?
    What are Variable Bit Rate (VBR) and Constant Bit Rate (CBR) methods?
    What is Image Smoothing and when should I use it?
    What is the minimum Quality feature?
    What is the automatic key frames feature?
    What is the Quick Compress feature?

Squeeze Set Up

Installation

How do I install Squeeze?
    For detailed steps on installing Squeeze see this article here: Installing Squeeze

Why am I getting an “Invalid Serial Number" error?
    The most common reason for this is that you have already installed Squeeze on another computer. When you would like to install Squeeze on another computer you must first deactivate your previous copy of Squeeze by going to the Help menu in Squeeze and click 'Deactivate Squeeze.' Once your previous copy of Squeeze is deactivated you will be able to reinstall.

Make sure that you are using a unique key as Squeeze is network aware and will not allow you to install if you are running another computer with the same key.

Make sure you put your Squeeze serial key in all CAPS insert the dashes in the proper order.

Also make sure to check the characters of the serial key to make sure they have been entered properly.

Recently a few anti-virus software have been causing problems with Squeeze installation. If you have McAfee or Norton anti-virus we would recommend uninstalling it and downloading and installing a free anti-virus software such as Microsoft Security Essentials which you can get here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If this does not solve your issue please fill out a trouble ticket about this issue here:
    http://www.sorensonmedia.com/support...n=submitTicket

How do I obtain a lost serial key?
    Please contact the Sales Team at sales@sorensonmedia.com or the Tech Support team at support@sorensonmedia.com or call at (888) 767-3676

Please provide the name and email of the person who purchased and/or registered the copy of Squeeze.

Why do I get a duplicate license number error?
    Squeeze can only be installed on one computer at a time. If you have installed Squeeze on another computer it will be detected and shut down Squeeze. Please contact the Sales team to purchase a separate license for each computer you use. You can contact them at sales@sorensonmedia.com or at (888) 767-3676

Sometimes having multiple network connections, such as an Ethernet and a wireless network connection causes this issue as well. Squeeze broadcasts its license number over the network and listens for other broadcasts. If it receives the same license number, it detects it as a duplicate copy and shuts down. When your computer simultaneously uses two or more network connections, the broadcast comes back to the computer as if it came from another machine. Squeeze detects it and shuts down.

To prevent this disable one of the network connections and launch Squeeze again.

Why do I get the error message, “Squeeze requires third party tools to be installed”?
    Make sure you have at least QuickTime 7.1.6 installed prior to installation and that you are using the latest version of the Squeeze installer for your version.

For Squeeze 6 and 7 it is recommended to update QuickTime to the latest version unless other programs on your computer, such as Avid, need a specific version of QuickTime.

Squeeze 5 on a PC is recommended to only use QuickTime 7.6.3 as any higher version will require downloading new QuickTime presets.

How can I install Squeeze on a foreign-language OS (Mac)
    During Squeeze installation, the active System Folder must be named "System" in OS 10. After the installation is complete, you can change the system folder name back to the name the foreign language operating system uses.

How do I uninstall Sorenson Squeeze?
    Follow these instructions here:
    http://forum.sorensonmedia.com/forum...alling-Squeeze

Registration & Activation

How do I activate Squeeze?
    Make sure you are connected to the Internet and the Squeeze activation wizard will take care of the rest. If the system you are installing Squeeze on is not connected to the Internet visit http://www.sorensonmedia.com/registration/ from a machine connected to the Internet. You can also contact Tech Support by phone to get an activation key at (888) 767-3676

For more information on activating Squeeze see this article here: Activating Squeeze

Can I activate the trial version of Squeeze?
    Squeeze cannot be activated to a full version, the trial and full versions use separate installers.

I am not connect to the internet, how do I obtain an activation key?
    You can activate through our website on another computer by following these steps:
    1. After entering your serial key and clicking "Continue" the installer window will display your serial key and a "CID code."
    2. Write down (or copy and paste) your serial number and CID Code.
    3. Go to this link to create an Activation Key: http://www.sorensonmedia.com/registration/

Or you can send your Serial Key and CID Code to Tech Support by filling out a trouble ticket here:

Include the Squeeze serial key and the name and email of the person who is registering program.

I received Squeeze with Avid, how do I obtain an activation key?
    If you are connected to the internet you will get your Activation Key in an email.

If you are not connected to the internet with your computer see above question "I am not connect to the internet, how do I obtain an activation key? "

Why do I get an error saying my "Activation key is not valid"?
    Please check the characters in the Activation Key to make sure they were entered correctly.

If you are still having this error please contact Tech Support at (888) 767-3676 or fill out a trouble ticket here:

SoundSoap

Where can I download the SoundSoap installer?
    You can download SoundSoap SM installer here:
    www.sorensonmedia.com/downloads

Why do I get a pop up saying my version of SoundSoap has expired?
    This error means SoundSoap has not been authorized.

Please follow these steps to authorize SoundSoap:
    1. Install Bias SoundSoap from the Squeeze CD or Installer Download.
    2. When the Welcome screen for BIAS appears click Authorize.
    3. Enter SoundSoap serial number and click authorize.

If this does not solve your issue please contact BIAS Support at (707) 782-1865 or online here:
    http://www.bias-inc.com/support/contact.php

How do I uninstall BIAS SoundSoap?
    PC - Uninstall SoundSoap by going to Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista and Win7) > BIAS SoundSoap SM > Change/Remove > Uninstall
    Mac - Go to the VST directory to delete the VST file here: Mac HD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>VST and move the SoundSoap VST file to the trash. Then move the BIAS Authorization Manager, located in the Applications folder, to the Trash.

Using Squeeze & Workflow

Do I have to use a preset in Squeeze?
    Yes, however the presets are fully customizable; you can even create your own. Once a preset is changed, the changes are saved. To revert back to the original settings, press the Default button in the Compression Settings dialog box.

For more detailed information on Presets see this article here: Format Presets Overview

How can I get more HD presets for Squeeze?
    You can obtain HD presets on our Preset Exchange here:
    http://presets.sorensonmedia.com/

What is a Watch Folder?
    A Watch Folder is a folder that Squeeze monitors for incoming uncompressed video. As new files are placed in this folder, they are automatically compressed according to either preset or custom compression settings chosen by the user.

For more information on Watch Folder workflow see this article here: Watch Folders

Can Squeeze compress multiple files simultaneously?
    As of Squeeze 5 and above you can compress multiple files. You must set this up in Preferences > Advanced tab (Behavior tab in Squeeze 5). You can set the Maximum number of Simultaneous Compressions to 1.5 times the number of cores in your processor.

Note: The simultaneous compression feature does not work with Watch Folders, you must import the files directly in to the Squeeze batch window. Also simultaneous compression does not work with the MainConcept H.264 or VP6 FLV encoders. The Sorenson H.264, Apple H.264, and Sorenson Spark FLV codecs do support simultaneous compression.

What is the FFDShow plug-in that is installed with Squeeze on a PC?
    FFDShow is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, H.264, FLV1, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, MPEG-4 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.

You can find more information about FFDShow here: FFDShow DirectX Plugin

Is there a decoder pack like FFDShow available for Mac?
    Yes, it is called Perian and it enables QuickTime support for additional media. You can get it here:
    http://perian.org/
    or here:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/perian.html

Why can’t I create Windows Media presets using the WM Video9 codec in Squeeze on the Macintosh?
    Since Windows Media encoding is not native to the Macintosh Squeeze relies on a 3rd party plug-in called Flip4Mac. You can purchase the Flip4Mac Plug-in here: http://www.flip4mac.com

For more information on using Flip4Mac with Squeeze see this article here: Flip4Mac plug-in

Why can't I create multiple bit rate (MBR) WMV files on the Mac?
    Unfortunately to create MBR WMV files you will need to use Squeeze on a PC.

You can uninstall Squeeze on your Mac and use the same serial key on a PC. For instructions on how to uninstall Squeeze on your Mac see this article here: Uninstalling Squeeze

How do I modify the meta-data for my output?
    Import a source file and then right-click the source file and then click "Modify MetaData."

For more information on MetaData in Squeeze see this article here: MetaData

How do I insert markers?
    Just below the video viewer window and to the right of the viewer controls you can click the button that “Adds a new marker at the current location.” You can also select whether you want a key frame or a chapter marker from the button to the immediate right of this button.

Importing Source Files

Can I capture video directly in Squeeze?
    You can capture video into Squeeze directly from a DV camcorder (not HD) by connecting it to your computer via firewire cable.

Click the Capture Video Button in Squeeze. Make sure that your camera is turned on and is using a Firewire (1394) connected (other capture methods will not work). Squeeze does not have “deck-link” control so you’ll need to push Play on your camera before you hit Capture.

For more information on the Capture feature see this article here: Capture Option

Can I import SWF files in to Squeeze?
    No, Squeeze does not support importing SWF files. SWF files not only need to be decoded but also must be "decompiled" This is currently not possible in Squeeze. The un-editable nature of SWF files is by design - to protect the video content in the files.

Why can’t I import Real Media files in Squeeze?
    Unfortunately Squeeze doesn’t not support importing Real Media file formats.

Exporting Files

How do I preserve my alpha channel when compressing a file in Squeeze?
    The only codec available in Squeeze which can preserve an alpha channel is the VP6 codec in the F8 FLV (and SWF) options. Your source file must be a MOV file with alpha channel data.

Double-click on a F8 FLV preset to open the options window. You will see an option called "compress alpha channel." Click the check-box next to this option to preserve your alpha channel in the FLV output.

How do I create a muxed MPEG file (one file with audio and video) in Squeeze?
    By default the DVD presets Squeeze are setup to create separate (elementary stream) files. This is because most DVD authoring programs require elementary streams - separate audio and video files.

To change this and create one (muxed) file simply open the options for the preset, by clicking on the preset name, and change the Stream Type from "Elementary" to "Program".

Note: Presets using an AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio codec cannot be muxed into a program stream.

How do I create a DVD with Squeeze?
    The DVD presets are located under the Disc tab in the Presets window. You can either use a DVD burn preset such as "DVD Disc Burn (NTSC, ES)" to burn a DVD disc or you can create a .ISO disc image file by using a preset such as "DVD ISO Image (NTSC, ES)".

If you create a .ISO file you will need to use a third-party DVD burning program to burn it to a DVD disc.

How do I create DVD VOB files in Squeeze?
    After creating a .ISO DVD file (see previous question) you can use a .ISO mounting program to mount the disc image file as a virtual disc. You can then copy the .VOB files to your hard drive.
    You can also burn a DVD in Squeeze and then copy the .VOB files to your hard drive.

Can I create Blu-ray files in Squeeze?
    You can create blu-ray compliant files in the MPEG-2 and WMV (VC-1) formats. Squeeze will make you separate audio and video files which you can use in a blu-ray authoring program such as Adobe Encore CS.

Formats & Codecs

What container formats support h.264 in Squeeze?
    The MP4 and MOV container formats support H.264 video in Squeeze 6 and higher.

How do I create Flash H.264 files?
    The Adobe Flash Player 9.2 and later enables playback of H.264 files. You can create Flash-compatible MP4 files with Squeeze.

To create a Flash 9 MP4 file using Squeeze:

1. Open Squeeze, input a source a file or create a watch folder.
    2. Select one of the Flash 9 MP4 presets (for example: "F9 360p 16x9") and apply the preset.
    3. Click "Squeeze It!"

The resulting .MP4 file will be playable in Flash player 9.2 and above (including the latest version).

How to I play back my FLV files?
    Here are some free FLV player programs:

Adobe Media Player (PC & Mac)
    Plays FLV and F4V files
    http://www.adobe.com/products/mediaplayer/

SWF & FLV Player (Mac & PC)
    Plays SWF and FLV files
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...flvplayer.html (Mac)
    http://download.cnet.com/SWF-FLV-Pla...html?tag=mncol (PC)

Martijn Devisser FLV Player (Win)
    Plays FLV and F4V files
    http://www.martijndevisser.com/blog/flv-player/
    or
    http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3...-10467081.html

Are Squeeze for Flash output files compatible with all versions of the Flash player?
    If you have Flash Player 9.2 and above it can play all versions of Flash video - Spark, VP6, and H.264 encoded videos. Adobe Flash 8 and above can only player Spark and VP6 encoded FLV files. Adobe Flash 6 and above can play back on Spark encoded FLVs

Is the Sorenson Video codec supported on all OS platforms?
    Sorenson Video is a QuickTime codec and is only available on OS's which support QuickTime.

QuickTime is available for all current Macintosh and Windows operating systems. For more information on QuickTime system requirements, check the QuickTime web site at http://www.quicktime.com.

Troubleshooting Squeeze

How do I obtain product support for Squeeze?
    There are several ways to receive Technical Support for Squeeze:
    Visit http://www.sorensonmedia.com/supportVisit the Knowledge Base for help articlesBrowse the Forum for posts from others who have had similar questionsFill out a trouble ticket here: http://www.sorensonmedia.com/support...bmitTicketSend us an email directly at support@sorensonmedia.comCall us at (801) 501-8670 or toll free at (888) 767-3676

Why does Squeeze say it is expired or can't read my serial key on my Mac?
    A user's preference folder is sometimes set to read only, even on brand new machines. Following the steps below to change this:

1. Open Finder and go to your "Macintosh HD."
    2. Right-click on the "Library" folder and select “Get Info”
    3. In the Info window click the padlock at the bottom and enter your admin password.
    4. Under "Sharing and Permissions" click the [+] and add your user name to the list and click "OK."
    5. Change your Privileges to “Read and Write”
    6. Close the Info window for the "Library" folder

7. Open the "Library" folder
    8. Find the "Preferences" folder, right-click it and select “Get Info”
    9. In the Info window click the padlock at the bottom and enter your admin password.
    10. Under "Sharing and Permissions" click the [+] and add your user name to the list and click "OK."
    11. Change your Privileges to “Read and Write”
    12. Close the Info window for the "Preferences" folder

13. Open the "Preferences" folder
    14. Find a file named “com.SorensonMedia.Squeeze 6.plist” and/or "com.SorensonMedia.Squeeze 4.plist" and delete it (If there are more than one .plist files with Sorenson Media or Squeeze in the name, delete them all.)

15. Run the Squeeze installer once more. You can download it from www.sorensonmedia.com/downloads

Why does a dialogue box pop up prompting me to enter in my username and password when applying some presets?
    The preset you are importing has a publishing option attached to upload the video to either Sorenson 360 or another publishing destination requiring a password.

If you do not have a 360 account select a different preset without a publishing option attached. Clicking the > arrow next to the preset will show the codecs, publishing options, filters, and notifications in each preset.

Why do QuickTime presets to not show up in Squeeze 5 after upgrading to QuickTime 7.6.4 or higher?
    You can install replacement QuickTime presets by following these steps:
    1. Delete the current QuickTime presets by going to C:\Program Files\Sorenson Media\Sorenson Squeeze\DefaultPresets
    2. Download the replacement presets here: Sqz5_MOV_presets_updated.zip
    3. Place the new presets in the DefaultPresets folder

You can also revert back to an earlier version of QuickTime by following these steps:
    1. Uninstall QuickTime by following these instructions:
    support.apple.com/kb/HT1786
    support.apple.com/kb/HT1925
    (Make sure to read under "Verify iTunes and related components are completely uninstalled.")
    2. Download and install QuickTime 7.5.5 here:
    oldapps.com/quicktime_player.php

If you are running Avid Media composer that requires version QuickTime version 7.5.5 or higher and unfortunately you don't have the option of downgrading QuickTime.

You can also upgrade your version of Squeeze here: Squeeze Upgrade Page

Why is my H.264 preset changing the pixel numbers I am entering in for my frame size?
    Main Concept's H.264 encoder is set to have widths divisible by 16 and heights divisible by 8. This is because of the use of macroblocks in the encoding process which restricts the frame size options but also helps improve the picture quality. All standard video sizes are divisible by 8 or 16 respectively - 720x480 (non-square), 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080, etc.

For more information on this topic see the Wikipedia article here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macroblock

The Sorenson H.264 and Apple H.264 encoders do not have this restriction, but all frame sizes must be even numbers.

Why do I get the error "0x8003001e?”"rong>
    The most likely cause is that you are using a version of Squeeze that is not compatible with QuickTime. Make sure you are using the most up to date version of Squeeze. If you need further assistance contact support here: http://www.sorensonmedia.com/support

Input Issues
    Why do I get the error “Unable to add the source file?”
    Confirm that your system is missing the codec by playing the source file in Windows Media Player (PC) or QuickTime (Mac). If the file doesn't play correctly you will need to acquire the missing codec and install it. You can also re-export your source file as Uncompressed or DV using the NLE of your choice. If your file is missing its proper extension re-name it with the proper extension (.avi, .mov, .mpg etc.)

Why can't I import my QuickTime reference file form Avid?
    If you are on a PC, try putting QuickTime in "safe mode." With Squeeze closed, open QuickTime Player. Go to Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences > Advanced tab. Under Video, check the box next to "Safe mode (GDI only)." Click OK. Re-open Squeeze.

Also, make sure you have the correct version of QuickTime installed for your version of Avid by checking the Avid Media Composer Version Matrix here:
    http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=267087

You can also try moving your referenced files to a local drive rather than a network or external drive. It is recommended that you move a referenced file to the local drive, then export a QuickTime reference file using it, and test this file in Squeeze before attempting to move all your referenced files as this could take a long time if working with large files.

If all else fails try outputting a self-contained QuickTime movie file to see if your issue persists. This will let us know if the issue is with the QuickTime reference file or could be some other problem.

Why does Squeeze crash when importing QuickTime files?
    DirectX and QuickTime can have conflicts that cause Squeeze to malfunction. Make sure Squeeze is closed. Open your QuickTime Player > Edit > Preferences > QuickTime Preferences > Advanced tab > Set the Video to Safe (GDI Only) > Click Apply > Close QuickTime Player.

Output Files

Why do I get a watermark on my outputs in Squeeze Trial?
    The Trial version of Squeeze will put a watermark on all output files. The full purchased version of Squeeze will not have this restriction.

Why do I get a watermark on my outputs in Squeeze when using WMV source files?
    The Flip4Mac WMV plugin for QuickTime must be installed and activated. This plug-in allows you to use WMV source files in Squeeze. It can be downloaded here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...omponents.mspx

Why do I see an evaluation watermark on my FLV outputs?
    Most likely you are using the VP6 encoder. VP6 requires that you purchase the full version of the codec by On2. You can purchase it here: http://www.sorensonmedia.com/products/? ... ppc=5&p=17. If you have already purchased the On2VP6 license simply open Squeeze > Squeeze/Edit > Preferences > Plug-ins > Activate On2VP6.

The transitions in my video are blocky and low quality. How can i fix this?
    Certain codecs are less efficient at transcoding transitions. Try changing the codec used in your preset, such as changing the MainConcept H.264 codec to the Sorenson H.264 codec.

You can also force your output file to create key frames by setting key frame markers.

Why do I get a loud scratching noise at the beginning and/or end of my Windows Media file on my PC?
    This is a known issue which can be fixed by doing one or more of the following:
    Increase the audio sample rate to 48000 Hz
    Increase the audio data rate above 128Kbps
    Change the audio codec
    Add a few frames to the head and tail of the source file before bringing it into Squeeze

Why is Squeeze applying different frames per second to my compressed movie than what I have specified?
    This will happen when the source file you are importing already has lower frames per second then what you are selecting in the settings. Squeeze cannot add frames to a video that are missing in the source. You would need to re-create the source file with at least the number of frames you want in the final encode.

Why is my video upside down?
    If you are using Canopus Edius version 4.6, you could experience a flipped video within Squeeze. To avoid the flip do the following:
    When in Edius and out putting the AVI file to be saved, there is a box marked 'msdv_codec' to the lower left which must be 'checked' off.

Why is the video missing when I playback SWF VP6 files created in Squeeze?
    Your version of Flash Player is 7 or lower. VP6 was first implemented in Flash player 8. To update your player to the latest version visit http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Why I do get a “jittery” output video when converting to DVD NTSC?
    This is a common problem when an analog recording is converted using a capture card. To export as a DVD the frame size must be 720 X 480. The extra 6 pixels in the 720x486 video source must be cropped.

Why do I get Clicks and Pops in the Audio output of Squeeze?
    This is usually caused by an outdated version of Squeeze. Make sure you are using the most recent version of Squeeze.

Why won’t my QuickTime movies stream?
    When you intend to stream QuickTime movies, you must activate the Hinting feature in Squeeze. Hinting creates a "hint" track for every media track. The hint tracks tell the server how to package the media data for delivery. Open the compression settings dialog box and select the "Prepare Output for Streaming (Hinting)" checkbox before compressing your movie.

Terminology

Where can I get more information about the codecs contained in my video and audio files?
    You can find out all sorts of useful information from the (free) program called Media Info. You can download and install it here:
    http://mediainfo.sourceforge*****/en/Download

What is H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC)?
    H.264 - also known as MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding) or MPEG-4 Part 10 - is a important video codec standard. It replaces several popular formats - such as H.263, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 Part2 - and offers significant advantages over them. These advantages include: advanced compression that results in a significant data rate savings; a network abstraction layer designed for efficient transmission of data; and presets for a wide variety of applications ranging from video telephony to high-end broadcasting.

Squeeze includes three H.264 encoders:
    MainConcept H.264 - In most cases this will give you the best compression quality. MC H.264 also give you the most options for customizing your H.264 files. One disadvantage is that the frame size pixel count widths must be divisible by 16 and heights divisible by 8.
    Sorenson H.264 is Sorenson Media's implementation of the H.264 standard
    Apple H.264 (or just "H.264" in MOV formats) is Apple's implementation of the H.264 standard

What is the difference between an FLV and a SWF file?
    FLV is Flash video. A SWF file is a the "player" file that contains the frame and player buttons. The FLV file format enables developers to insert video into a Flash movie timeline.

To play back a Flash video in a web browser the FLV file needs to be called by a SWF file. This is known as linked FLV.

Projects that require embedded FLV Squeeze 5 could create a single SWF file with embedded FLV video. Embedded FLV in a SWF file is no longer standard practice and has been removed from Squeeze 6 and higher. (This is because SWF files do not support embedding the newer H.264 video codec.)

What are the differences between the Sorenson Video 3 Pro and MPEG-4 Pro codecs?
    Sorenson Video 3 is an advanced proprietary video compression technology exclusively distributed with QuickTime. Sorenson Video 3 produces better quality video than MPEG-4 and has many advanced features. MPEG-4 is the international standard for interactive media.

What is the Difference between Streaming and Progressive download?
    Streaming:
    Streaming delivers media in real-time over the internet. No file is downloaded to the hard drive of your audience. The file is played, but not stored. If the recipient's Internet connection is not fast enough to receive all of the packets in the file, they are dropped and the quality of the playback is compromised.

Progressive:
    Progressive download saves the file to your viewer’s hard drive. This ensures the highest quality playback possible regardless of the connection speed of your viewer. Some progressive download media types can be set to 'Fast Start'. Media set to 'Fast Start' begins to play as soon as enough of the file resides on your viewer’s hard drive. In general, viewers with slower connections will need to wait longer for progressive download media to begin playing due to their lower bandwidth when compared with streaming media compressed to an appropriate data rate.

What is Variable Bit Rate?
    Variable Bit Rate (VBR) encoding adjusts the data rate according to the amount of action and the number of scene changes. This feature increases the efficiency of the Sorenson Video Pro codec and allows for better video at lower bit rates. The overall effect is that each scene is encoded as if it were a separate movie.

What is Image Smoothing and when should I use it?
    Image smoothing allows our decoder to decode in such a way that over-compressed pixels that would appear blocky appear instead to be muted slightly. This type of decompression is much more taxing on the CPU. Therefore, instead of big, offensive blocks, over-compressed video looks muted, or fuzzy.

Sorenson Media does not recommend using image smoothing on anything above dial-up modem rates.

What is the minimum Quality feature?
    It is very challenging to maintain both image quality and a constant frame rate when streaming video for dialup modem delivery. The Minimum Quality option allows you to trade either data rate or frame rate to maintain a specific image quality threshold.

When you turn on the Minimum Quality setting it forces Sorenson Video to keep the picture quality above the specified level. If the quality begins to drop below that level, the codec increases the data rate to maintain the quality.

If you don't want the data rate to increase, select the Drop frames to maintain data rate option. With "Drop frames" turned on, if the quality begins to fall below the specified threshold, the codec drops a frame and uses the data saved to increase the quality, while holding the data rate constant. This action reduces the frame rate temporarily, but increases the quality of the encoded frames. The codec automatically returns to the specified frame rate when it can maintain the minimum quality.

What is the automatic key frames feature?
    The Automatic Key Frames option detects the differences between frames. When the difference reaches the specified threshold, Sorenson Video inserts a new keyframe. The Automatic Keyframes slider lets you specify how different a frame must be from the previous frame before Sorenson Video inserts a key frame. The ideal is to find a setting that inserts a keyframe at the beginning of each scene, without inserting unnecessary keyframes inside individual scenes. The only exception is fast motion scenes which often require additional keyframes.

Lower slider values produce fewer keyframes (requires greater difference between frames) and higher slider values produce more keyframes (requires less difference between frames). The default value of 50 is good for most applications. We recommend staying within the 35-65 range for best results. Depending on your content, you may need to compress several times to find the optimum setting.

What is the Quick Compress feature?
    The Quick Compress option compresses about 20% faster by sacrificing a little quality. The quality loss is minimal and for many applications, this is a very good choice for delivering faster encode times while maintaining most of the video quality.

• Recent Forum Posts Recent Forum Posts

Hi,
    I can not control the data rate of the dnxhd preset it is only set as auto control
    any ideas why?
    thanks a lot
    Eitay s. Go to last post

etmiron On April 23rd, 2014

Change data rate in dnxhd preset

I need some advice about specs for a new machine that will be running Squeeze. I'll be using it to make h264 MP4 encodings from DVD and Blu-ray discs. My understanding is that the optical drive and... Go to last post

dcaunt On April 18th, 2014

Building a Squeeze machine

• Recent Articles Recent Articles