+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to handle an anamorphic SD PAL QT to 16:9 MPEG2 in a correct way

how to handle an anamorphic SD PAL QT to 16:9 MPEG2 in a correct way

Hi Folks,

90% of my encoding jobs consists of following:

Take a 16:9 uncompressed QT with 720x576 - it`s a anamorphic playout from Avid. And encode it to a true 16:9 mpeg2 format.

I have problems for the correct pixel aspects setup.
    1. Which aspect I have to choose for the source file? - 4:3 NTSC/PAL, cause anamorphic is 4:3 or 16:9 HDTV, but anamorphic SD isnot HD and also not 1022x576.
    2.Which aspect I have to choose in the mpeg2 settings? - unconstrained? maintain?

Whats the correct way?

In every other encoders there are always buttons for exact those questions. It`s my first time I have to work with sorenson. And it seems to me a that it is a littlebit tricky. My results in sorenson ends up always with a 4:3 mpeg2 thats not what I need.

Thanks for helping

Robert

Sorenson Media Tech Support Jeff_TS's Avatar
    1022x576 is the 16:9 aspect ratio version of a non-square pixel 720x576 file. If a 16:9 aspect ratio doesn't look correct to you then you might try one of the other aspect ratio available such as 35mm Anamorphic or a custom ratio.

I would recommend choosing "Maintain Aspect ratio" or "Letterbox or Pillars" for your output to make sure the resulting file does not distort your image.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
    Jeff Udall
    Tech Support Manager
    Sorenson Media
    www.sorensonmedia.com

thanks, for reply.

I will give this a try. By the way, I have learned that the squarepixel size of a 720x576 16:9 format is 1024x576, also known as "PAL PLUS" format. If I take my calculator I see that this (1024) is correct. Why decide sorenson to take 1022 thats meet a mathematical aspect of 15,97 to 9.

You are correct that 1024 is the more accurate 16x9 equivalent. I'm not sure why it came out to 1022x576 in Squeeze.

If you would like us to take a look at the file please fill out a Trouble Ticket here:
    [url]http://www.sorensonmedia.com/support/index.php?action=submitTicket[/url]

Then we can have you send us the file and we can do some tests on our side.
    Jeff Udall
    Tech Support Manager
    Sorenson Media
    www.sorensonmedia.com

Ok a little misunderstanding. I got now a real 16:9 mpeg 2 - had forgotten to check out the advanced settings tab. There I found a button to setup the stream to 16:9 by 720x576, well. The 1022x576 thing is only shown by the source input monitor. If I select 16:9 - HDTV/ 1.78 for my PAL anamorphic footage the previewmonitor is showing me a white lined box around the picture with the info "1022x576" inside the box. After rendering all is in 720x576 again. I can post a screenshot, maybe it`s more easylier as send up quicktimes per FTP.

If you submit a trouble ticket to use above we can get you the upload info.
    Jeff Udall
    Tech Support Manager
    Sorenson Media
    www.sorensonmedia.com

+ Reply to Thread